Helical Rod Spacer
The HELICAL ROD Spacer is recommended for use on horizontal, twin conductor bundles.
The functions of the HELICAL ROD Spacer are:
- To provide uniform spacing of horizontally bundled subconductors
- To insure consistent electrical characteristics
- To minimize wind induced motions such as subconductor oscillation and aeolian vibration so that no conductor damage results
- To keep the subconductors from entangling due to galloping, ice unloading, and fault currents.
- Thermal Rating (Continuous) 125°C
- Constructed entirely of high strength aluminum alloy wire formed into helical rods
- No loose parts or troublesome articulated joints to create radio noise through looseness
- Designed to be coronafree at voltages 10-20% above operating up to 500 kV AC and 750 kV DC
- Applied easily and uniformly without tools and can be installed with hot line tools
- Designed to meet fault current requirements developed in most EHV line design.
- Complete fault current testing and analysis has been completed for the HELICAL ROD Spacer and is published in AIEE paper DP 58-779, and IEEE paper 63-88.