VORTX™ Vibration Damper
VORTX Dampers respond to wind induced line vibration that is characterized by high frequency, low amplitude motion a.k.a. aeolian vibration. The VORTX damper with Large and Small weights can achieve greater power dissipation and frequency response performance than “symmetrical weight” Stockbridge damper designs. Wider frequency coverage translates into better protection as energy is more effectively dissipated over the entire range of conductor/cable frequencies.
- Contoured Clamp – Aluminum alloy extrusion offers a “precision” fit to evenly capture the conductor and uniformly distribute pressure along the conductor surface.
- Clamp Profile – During installation, the damper clamp will hang from the conductor in accordance with IEC standards. Hands are free to tighten the bolt to the proper torque.
- Messenger Strand – Precision manufactured galvanized steel messenger strand efficiently absorbs vibration energy.
- Weight – Open galvanized ductile iron weights do not enclose the messenger, reducing the possibility of corrosion.
- Weight Attachment – PLP’s novel weight attachment system exceeds the pull-off strength requirements of the IEC standards without changing the properties of the adjoining messenger. In contrast, heat from casting or welding attachment methods can alter the messenger strand and reduce performance.
- Breakaway Bolt Option – The VORTX Vibration Damper can also be ordered with a breakaway bolt. When tightened to the recommended torque level, the top head of this bolt will shear off, ensuring that the clamp is neither over, nor undertightened.
- May be installed on either energized (hot) or unenergized (cold) lines. Application instructions are supplied with each order which include the recommended installation procedure and bolt torque.
- VORTX Dampers are tested in accordance with IEC 61897: Overhead Lines – Requirements and Tests for Stockbridge Type Aeolian Vibration Dampers.
- PLP has developed a proprietary computer program known as the VORTX Vibration Damper Placement Software or VORTX VDP for short. This software is based upon data gathered from laboratory testing, field studies, CAD research, and PLP’s 60+ year knowledge base on vibration.
Reports & Manuals